Thursday, May 1, 2008

Changes and last minute planning

I've decided to change the starting point of the trip to Portland, ME. Jen's mother and stepfather invited us to Portland with them a couple summers ago and we really enjoyed the area. It will also be easier for Jennifer to drive back to NY on Sunday and it gives me some time to ease into the days. I'm a little worried about overuse injuries, worried about what happens if I don't make it the whole way or if I need to stop mid trip. Not pedaling the whole way to Key West just isn't an option at this point.

Both yesterday and today has been a flurry of bike shops, outdoor stores and researching gear. I've picked up everything from bandages to spokes and reflectors to triscuits. Rigging up a system for making sure that the fenders stay on is a real pain. I've cut, bent, ground and zip tied just about every piece of the front fender but it's not looking good. Worse case scenario, I'm out $25 and I'm dirty for 30 days.

I thought I'd post more info, more pictures and have more frequent updates then I do right now but there just isn't enough time to get everything done. Right now my first priority is to have everything packed and ready to go by Sunday morning. The rest is secondary.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So, let me get this straight, you quit your job, left your lovely fiance, and are taking a flyer on a bike? Godspeed. I shall be checking the blog daily, so you had better post every day -- the better to know u are safe. And yes, I hope you packed more than 2 pairs of uw. Jacob and I did a 1 mile charity run this a.m. -- not quite as far as ME to Fl, but still....