Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Stormy days and Head Winds

I thought I was doing really well yesterday by putting in 127 miles. I finally hit some flat ground and rode from Richmond, VA to just across the line into North Carolina. By "just across" I mean that I rode until I saw the sign, took a picture of me by the sign and then proceeded to make camp about 50 ft from the side of the rode just beyond the sign. The weather is getting warm and humid which means that their are more mosquito's, spiders and insects. I think I received a spider bite on my arm last night and I definitely pulled a tick of my ankle this afternoon. The easy, sterile, clean world that we usually live in just isn't the same as this adventurous one. The sleep that you get in the hotel room bed is a million times better then sleeping in the hammock someplace wondering what the heck those noises are. I just can't seem to get used to the noises. Whenever I become comfortable with the sounds that I'm hearing something new chimes in.

I can't remember who told me this but supposedly 80% of all animals live in the transition areas (percentage could be off but it's close). So, if you're transitioning from the water to a forest or from the forest to a meadow then you have a very high concentration of wildlife there. Last night I slept right near the transition from corn field to forest and it was the noisiest spot yet. Animals all around. Some singing, some yelling, some chattering and some just humming while they went about their normal routine.

I've carried a small container of pepper spray with me for the past year or so on my bike. Until today, I had never used that spray and never wanted to. The dogs in the backroads of VA and NC are not tied up though. So far I've been fortunate in that they usually do not see me until I'm right up close to their house and they can't catch me. Today a dog saw me early and went on the chase. I pulled out the pepper spray and hit him with some right as he was about 3 ft from my ankle (and gaining). Nothing makes you feel worse then hitting a dog with some pepper spray and then riding in the middle of farm country with nothing to think about except Fido waiting for the sting to wear off. Better that his eyes sting for a few minutes then my leg have puncture marks in it from his teeth....well, better for me atleast.

A storm rolled into Northeastern NC today. Parts of this area and southern VA have tornado advisories. As the storm rolled in the wind became unbearable. I rode 73 miles today and every single one of them was into a headwind. Yesterday I could maintain 16-18 mph on the flats pretty easily but today I was struggling to maintain 10 mph sometimes. I'd see a nice little downhill grade that would be easy to hold 20-22 mph on yesterday and the wind would nearly blow me backwards, up the hill. This was about as demoralizing as it gets. Atleast with the hills, you finally get to the top. With the wind it just keeps right on coming. So, after the 70 miles of riding I was completely exhausted and the storm was getting close. I found a Holiday Inn Express in Plymouth, NC and checked in for the night. Before I was able to get a shower I crashed on the couch and took an hour long nap. This is the most tired I've been on the trip so far. I think that tonight I'll order some Pizza Hut and watch some television.

There have been times in the past few days where I've thought about throwing in the towel. The poverty in the backroads of VA and NC is very depressing and their isn't much to see. I went into a roadside market yesterday only to find that the floor was worn to the subfloor, the heat was an old potbelly stove in the corner of the room, the shelves were 90% bare and what they did have for sale was some cheap, cheap beer, malt liquor, pork&beans, and other canned goods. I asked the woman where everything was and she told me that they don't stock much anymore 'count of all the breakins.

Lots of houses around here are just cinderblock boxes placed near a road. When the wind picks up it seems like half the fields are going to blow away. The dust and soil just start whipping around in the air and it floats across the road like a mist of fog creeping down the mountainside.

I rode by one African-American woman yesterday who turned around and told me, "I can ride a bike but there ain't no way I can ride as fast as you." She had a smile on her face from ear to ear and looked like one of the happiest people in all of NC. It was nice to finally see somebody with a smile on their face. They're few and far between in this area.

It's about time for me to order that pizza. Hopefully the storm passes over tonight and I'm able to get in a good solid day of riding tomorrow. I can't wait to get out of this area and back into some nice towns with coffee houses and sandwich shops.

Until next time, may your neighbors be smiling and your pizza be hot.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is crap. How are we supposed to listen to you whine about the latest hills you had to climb or what piece of americana you rode by today if you don't update your blog?! Hope everything is going well and we'll see you soon. Steve

Brad said...

Well, if I don't actually take some time to ride then I don't have anything to write about.