Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Riding like it should be!!!

Yesterday was the first 100 plus day. I don't think it should have been 100 miles (missed a turn someplace near Bruynswick, NY and rode for 6 miles in a circle). Atleast I got back to where I should have been. This made me realize just how nice it is to have Google Maps on my phone. Lots has happened since my last post. I spent the night near a water reservoir in CT on 5/10 and woke up a little late in the am. When I finally crawlled out of the woods there were three guys standing next to their cars and near the locked entrance to the reservoir (workers who needed the ranger to open the gate). Well, I was sick of waiting for them to leave so I walked out of the woods and spoke up really loud so they knew I was there, "Good morning!!!" These guys had no idea wha to think. He's a guy in a hi-viz bright yellow jacket walking out of the woods with black biking tights on greeting them with a good morning. Even funnier was when I walked back into the woods and came out with a bike and trailer. I pedaled off and left all three of them scratching their heads.

After this I rode through eastern CT ad went by some very nice towns that I never even knew existed (common theme on this trip). I met up with a women in NY shortly after crossing the border (on a backroad without a Welcome to NY sign, damn I hate when that happens) and she asked me the normal were to/were from question. I had to laugh when I told her I was going to Key West, FL she responded with, "Oh, I'm going to my mother-in-law's house." We rode for a few miles and she asked me if I was going up "The Hill." I've seen every hill name their is out there at this point but a hill that is known as The Hill, this is not good!! So I told her about all the hills I've been on and she just nodded, not the response I wanted. When people are quiet in situations like that then it means the can back up their claim... and she did. This was the mother hill. I've been on 12% grade before for a small stretch and this was 10% for some long stretches.

I'm going to finish this story later b/c my battery is dying. More to come later today.
5/14 Continuation of previous post.

I have a lot of catching up to do here. So after I nearly passed out from riding up that hill I had the pleasure of riding down it. I was told that maybe I shouldn't mention speeds because it may make some people worry, but it was fast.

Now, here we are in NY and I'm making my way to Poughkeepsie to meet up with Jennifer for dinner. I was very, very happy to see Riley and Jenni when they pulled in to meet me at Starbucks. I also have a confession to make.....I didn't ride from Poughkeepsie to New Paltz. They were calling for rain Sunday night and I wanted no part of setting up in that so I got a room at a hotel in New Paltz. Jen and I had an awesome dinner at a New Paltz brewpub called The Gilded Otter. We said our goodbyes (again) and I turned in for the night.
I'm going to speed this up a little and maybe add more detail later. The next day was the day that I rode my first 100 miles. I rode through the Shawnagunk mountain region in NY, into Middletown, NY and on and on. In Middletown I met George who rode his horse from NY to TX and back. George had a great story about rescuing the horse and giving it a good life. I rode through a lot of small towns with blocked cars and lawn ornaments before crossing into NJ. This next portion of the ride took me into the DE Water Gap area. Despite the dreary day and the threat of rain around every corner, this area was beautiful. I saw turkeys, deer, an artist workshop site in the middle of nowhere, and great scenery all around. That night I met Ron and Barry. More on them later, time for sleep.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Should've really thrown then for a loop and yelled "Squeel like a pig boy", or maybe, "My ship just landed, I've come to assimalate the human race". Good for a reaction if nothing else.

Geo

Jen said...

Okay, Brad, I think I've given out your blog address to just about everyone in NY at this point. You've certainly got a lot of support back home! Good to hear you are back on track mileage-wise, too! Jennie cooked dinner for me last night because she was concerned- I was turning orange from eating mac'n'cheese everyday. See? It's just not the same without you here! Miss you! Have a great ride today!

Anonymous said...

Ron and Barry? Are they going to be your "special" friends for the trip? Also, I started stocking up on beer for the brew fest...Sierra Nevada Barleywine, Stoudt's Belgian Ale, Golden Monkey, Brooklyn Summer to name a few. Keep crankin'!

Eric said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Eric said...

So you're biking the entire alantic coast and you mananged to get lost in Brunswick, a town 20 minutes from where you used to live? Thank god for google maps. Where'd you cross the Hudson?

Christina said...

Hey! You were in the Poughkeepsie-Newburgh-Middletown area the same days I was!! (I'm always there Monday-Tuesday) I wish I would have known - I wouldn't bought you a beer or something!! hahaha
-- Christina