Tuesday, May 6, 2008

The Bad Thing About Downhills

Everybody loves a good downhill. All the speed, no pedaling, wind in your face to cool you down. What's not to love? The dirty secret about downhills is that the more of them you hit, the more uphill grinding you need to participate in. Add in the trailer attached to the bike and I begin to feel like the guy on the cover of Atlas Shrugged. I love a good hillclimb, but some of this is ridiculous. Names like Sawyer Hill Rd and Lappi Hill Rd just keep popping up all over the place. How come they never name one of these "hill" roads a street or a drive? It's like little green label telling you, "Hey buddy, if you're making a right you're going straight up, and by the way, I'm a road so I hope you're in this for the long haul!"

On to the trip. Yesterday I rode with Nick and we went off route to meet up with a fellow SAE Brother. It was a shorter day (maybe 65 miles) but I pushed a little to hard in some spots and the outer side of my right knee is killing me. Today I've slowed the pace drastically in an attempt to recoup the knee over the next two or three days. One thing I' be learned about the trailer is that over a long distance that extra weight kills you joints way before your legs burn out. Slow and steady for the next few days.

Weather is perfect today and the scenery in NH and MA are great. Lots of back country road without much traffic. Tonight will be the first night of camping and I'm already spotting some great locations.

Until next time, may the path be smooth and the roads be flat.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep on truckin Bro!!! Shev

Nick the Greek said...

Yeah sorry about that push yesterday. Hope that knee feels better.

Unknown said...

The way you described that meal at Walter's made me think you were never going to eat again. Hope you have a power bar or something with you! Can you stop and volunteer on the Senate campaigns along the way -- there is a BIG one in NH. Shaheen -- give her a hand. You could have hit Allen in ME, but I guess you aren't going to go back to do that one are you...? Happy trails!

Brad said...

Nick, No probl on that ride. Just a learning experience. Iau take a day off if need be, just trying to wait for some rain to come so that I don't waste a good one!

Karen, you just let me know who you need elected in CT and I'll carry the sign across the whole state.

Shevdog, I'll keep on trucking' as long as you put one back for me! If only I could brew while I'm biking.... Hmmmm...