Sunday, May 4, 2008

Some things we do just because we have too.

Many different events have taken place since I last wrote a post. I've been running around like crazy in an attempt to remember everything that I could possibly need on this trip but still managed to forget my sunglasses. Ahh yes, sunglasses...probably the last possible item that I needed in my bag of tricks today. Rain slicker, poncho, body suit made of that durable, frozen zip-lock bag material are all possible items I could have used but sunglasses, not-so-much. Under normal circumstances there is no possible way that I would ride for 2 hours in the driving rain covered in road spray and mud. As I was told by two guys who just finished an unproductive fishing trip on the Kennebunk River, I'm not normal which probably means that my circumstances aren't normal either.

Skipping back a day, Jennifer, Riley and I all drove up to Portland, ME yesterday to spend our last day together for the next month. Riley didn't think to much of this trip because he had to find a way to lay down on what he would probably describe as a postage stamp sized portion of the back seat. Once we arrived in Portland we had a fantastic dinner at Walter's on Exchange Street. Jen and I both had a vegetarian dish. She ordered a Fettuccine Pasta with olives, dried tomatoes, camembert cheese (sp?), and a white wine oil sauce that was unbelievable. I ordered a whole wheat pasta that was covered in a wild mushroom ragout and some sort of a sherry reduction sauce. My descriptions probably don't do the dishes justice but I'm sure we'll be heading back to Walters again whenever we're in that area.

So, on to the first day of riding. As I mentioned, it was wet. The initial excitement of starting the trip is what really got me through the first few hours. After that I spent a good deal of my trip along the Maine coast which was beautiful, NE scenery accompanied by that ocean scent that reminds you to keep looking left and take in the views while they're there. If this were anyplace other then beach area and I smelled that scent then I would probably be saying, "My God, what is that nasty smell of salt and rotten seaweed?" But it is and I'm not. The ride really was amazing. My legs are sore, my back is tired, and my neck feels like I just took a nap in a small cardboard box (now I know how Riley feels) but it was all worth it. If I wasn't able to end this day at Nick's house where a hot shower and comfortable couch was waiting for me then I might not have the same attitude as I do right now. Speaking of that couch, I think it's calling my name. Until I get the next chance to write I'll leave some facts about the start of the trip. First day weight was 183 lbs, mileage was 75 miles, ride time was about 5 hours, total time from start to finish including breaks was about 7 hours and I saw 1 grey herring, 5 goats and about a half dozen Maine surfers (yes they were surfing).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sound's like a good start (cold and wet), have a great and safe ride

Jen said...

Those fisherman in Kennebunk sound like a hoot! Boy do they have your number! Here's to meeting new (and sometimes strange) new people along the way!

Anonymous said...

yea i wouldnt try to get too much credit for this bike ride thing ... u cant compare to my bike riding. i do this every weekend, i go from maine to florida all the time. hahah. good luck. ☻