Saturday, May 10, 2008

On the Road Again!!!!

Back at it again today and feeling good. After two days of R&R at my sisters house in Niantic I'm ready to go. I left a little bit later then I intended on leaving today (around 11am), but I think I can make up some miles later in the trip.

I hit a couple of monster hills today, definitely the biggest and steepest on the trip so far. I'm happy to say that I stood at the junction of two "Hill" Roads, pounded my chest, let out a primal roar and tore up the pavement!!! Or maybe I sat there for a minute, took a picture of a couple Canadian Geese walking their single gosseling across the road and then spun up the hill at about 4-6mph. You pick what story you like better.

I rode with a guy today who wouldn't tell me where he lived or what he does. When I asked him where he lives he replied, "Depends on who wants to know." I obviously wasn't important enough because when I told him it was me he decided to turn into the local market. Initially when I rode up next to him he said, "Damn man, I need a new bike. You guys ride right up next to me and then blow right on by like I'm standing still." Funny Dude!!

It was a nice stop off in CT. Scotland, Cameron and I made pizza and chocolate chip cookies, I was able to listen to Taylor sing a solo that she's going to perform very soon, and I was the show and tell feature in Scotland's first grade class. Really, the knee injury was well worth it.
Time to down this 20 oz coffee and put in some more miles. It's about 6pm and I have two more hours of ride time before I need to setup camp.
Thanks to everybody who is posting. The encouragement and comments are awesome.

Until next time, may the people you meet be just a little outside of ordinary and hopefully the next coffee shop serves a 20 ouncer.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry for your delay but so worth it . We so enjoyed (as always) your company. We are all so excited for your adventure, the girls are like what the !!!! is he doing this for but the thrill of all of it is also exciting for them as well. After hanging out for a couple days and talking I so admire your dream and the fact you can so do it. Like you said Brad its not about the bike ride as much as what happens on the way! Have a great time and take care that knee. Lorib

Anonymous said...

so that was not Lorib its Lori

Anonymous said...

I know this is really random, but those chocolate chip cookies that we made are pretty much gone! There are only 3left and we made them yesterday! Also, you make some kick- butt pizza! That was awsome! I had a lot of fun hangin out with you, come back soon and make us more pizza!

Anonymous said...

The one above: continued

love,
Cameron

scott said...

glad the routing worked out for you (ms streets & trips). the company is glad to have done their part to get you back on track. you should be back on your route by tomorrow afternoon & having dinner w/ jen in poughkeepsie tomorrow.

fair winds & following seas
scott

Nick the Greek said...

Glad to hear that you are spinning again! Take care of that knee.

I can't wait for the mechanical bull, and I want to see a reenactment of this "roar" when you go for your first 8 seconds.

I think they need to stop putting the word "hill" in street names so that you don't know what you are in for.

Anonymous said...

Good luck buddy! Nice to see you're back out there. Keep riding and nurse that knee. The fruitcakes in Key West are waiting.....

Unknown said...

Brad-
You're my hero, we're with you in spirit every day.

Lori said...

glad u came. haha cam is right we no longer have any cookies left... they were good! :) too bad I couldn't make them with u all. ride like the wind! hey u mentioned my solo... hehe :)
love always,
yo niece Tay

Eric said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Eric said...

Hey Brad -
Sounds like you're having a blast. I really enjoy reading your blogs, I feel like I'm practically on the trip with you. Well, minus the 400+ biking miles, the rain, the hills,the knee pain, the solitude and the camping. Yeah, other than that stuff, it's pretty much like I'm there. Keep it up and may the wind be always at your back!