Wednesday, April 30, 2008

4 Days and Counting

I spent the weekend in Virginia with Jennifer and family so the blogging has been a little light, or nonexistent. I did ride in Virginia and I think it was probably one of the best rides I've ever been on. Rolling farm hills dotted with pasture raised cows and low clinging fog in the background. I ended up riding on miles of dirt roads, almost wiping out because of the skinny tires, fording a small river, and just having a great time. It was more of an adventure then my everyday rides where I pick the smoothest roads with the fastest access points.

I really need to refine my packing list now. Gear testing has started and last night I think it took me atleast an hour to get into the hammock, inflate an air mattress, get into the sleeping back and try to line my body up in the right position. I probably wasted more energy trying to go to sleep then I would have biking for an extra hour.

Some more essential items that I've been reading about:
Loc-Tite for bolts that loosen up on long trips
Camo Tarp for covering the bike and trailer
Bear Bag for hanging food

This is the first day that I've awoke in my own bed, in NY, on a weekday and didn't have a job to go to. I feel a little bad about that because if you don't have a job then people think you're not working hard enough or maybe you're cheating them of something by not contributing to the tax base. I'm not sure why that is but I know that when I saw Jen go to work this morning I felt a little guilty. Either way, I'm sure it's a fleeting emotion.

Time for an AM bike ride.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have such a great time on your trip! Remember you have a bed in the Bronx if you need it.