Thursday, May 29, 2008

One Beer and ..... Done!!!

In St. Augustine I stopped at a cafe and had 2nd breakfast. 2nd breakfast is one of my favorite parts about burning 5000 plus calories per day. That and 2nd lunch, 2nd dinner and before bed snack. Anyhow, second breakfast today consisted of a huge blueberry muffin and a spinach and feta croissant all washed down with a couple cups of coffee (my favorie drug). Florida is a great biking area. The shoulders are huge. Most areas have separate bike lanes, the towns range from middle income beach towns that retain the small, older beach town feel to super upscale estates (Pointe Verde) that have irrigation systems for not only the lawns but also the shrubby transition areas of the property. St. Augustine is in there too but the history there puts it in a class of it's own. Atlantic beach and Neptune beach have a nice little town center. Some of the beaches are geared more towards campers and some more towards the all inclusive traveller. The FL State park system is the best I've seen yet. Very clean, tidy campsites and great showers and facilities.

I've had to hit a couple ferry crossings on this trip and I've decided that ferry crossings are one of the best things going. I wouldn't mind living someplace where my commute included a ferry crossing. They force you take atleast 15 minutes of your life and do nothing important but look at the other side. It's a a slowdown and a separation between the busy work/errands of the day and the home living part of the day. It forces you to either plan your trips or adapt to situations due to the lack of planning. Mostly though, I just like sitting on the ferry and thinking; thinking about small seemingly insignificant things very slowly, then forgetting them, and then realizing that I'm ok with that.

I met some annoying but playful squirrels tonight at the campground, nearly domesticated. I also had a beer and a burrito on Daytona Beach. One beer nearly knocked me out after the heat and excercise today. It was a 110 mile day that started off great until the sun decided to start squeezing.

Once again the battery is going so I to must leave. It's time for bed anyhow.

Until next time. May you find the time to think about the not so important stuff and then forget about it.

4 comments:

Nick the Greek said...

Damn dude you are flying. 20+ with a trailer. Are you kidding me?

Anonymous said...

I used to ride the ferry between Plattsburgh and Burlington quite often. On sunny, warm days, there is nothing better, but on cold winter stormy days---it's pretty damn frightening.

Anonymous said...

Brandon-
Way to go! Holy cow i cant believe your biking such a far distance! What a life changing experience it must be. question: so what made you decide to take up the quest?!

Anonymous said...

Bryan-

Wow 110 miles, thats amazing!
good luck , keep goin strong