Sunday, May 18, 2008

White Roads, The Last Outpost and 1000 Miles

I want to start this post with a link to another site for some great people that I met along the road. Louie and Becky Berry have made a life of bike touring and living simply. Check out their adventure at www.blueberryrides.com . I think they threw a picture of me in there someplace around May 12 or 13th (could be off by a day or two).

Back to business. After breakfast with Karen, Rob and Jacob I headed off towards Fredericksburg, VA. This was an ambitious ride considering my 10:30 departure. I rode through bike paths until my face was blue and finally ended up at Mt. Vernon, VA. People on bike paths like to see if they can past a guy with a trailer. Or, if you're behind them then they do not like to let you by. I like it when you ride right behind them for 3 or 4 minutes and then when you feel them backing off a bit you drop the hammer, "Hey Pal, make room for my trailer." One thing good about the bike path is that you can have fun.

I'm not sure what the best bang for your buck is in terms of calories. The $.25 peanut butter fudgesicle rates right up tthere but I think the 7-11 Big Bite hot dog takes the cake. The problem with the big bite is that you need a half hour digestion period before you can really start cranking again.

The roads are white in parts of PA, VA and MD. Not really blacktop and not really gravel. If the usual road is 2 parts pavement and 1 part rock then some of these roads are definitely 1 part pavement and 4 parts rock. They shake your toenails loose and leave you squirming on the saddle in a desperate attempt to find the one square inch of your backside that holds the least pain.

In Fredericksburg I met a homeless guy who offered me $6 that somebody just gave him. I must have looked pretty bad. He then proceeded to tell me about people who travel and eat edible greens. A lot of people consider edible greens weeds when they're really valuable sources of nutrition. I'm thinking that if I try to go from ME to Key West on edible greens off the sides of the road then I'd still be in Kennebunk. Hey, if he can live off that stuff then more power to him.

Today was the push to Richmond where I met up with my future mother-in-law for dinner. We had an awesome dinner at California Pizza Kitchen and spent some time catching up on the important, the not so important, and the not so important that is really important. You know what mean?

This is the last outpost (coined by Mrs. Darlene Hancox) in that it's my last stop with planned visits from friends and family. The road is pretty lonely and I've looked forward to these visits but now I think I can start logging more miles per day. Speaking of, today I hit the big 1000 mile mark. One milestone down, more to come.

Until next time, may the greens be plentiful and the roads be black.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Brad,
you apparently did not read the newest issue of Mother Earth New cause if you had you would be eating Dandelion greens. Do not worry about the last outpost as I am sure there will be plenty of friendly people waiting for you in Key West.. Be safe and have fun.
Greg

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmm, Amber's chocolate chip cookies. She baked 5 dozen on Friday and gave Jen a bunch. Don't worry though, there will be some at the brew fest. FWIW, I think chocolate chip cookies are a good bang for the buck on calories. Don't forget Meg in Ft. Lauderdale, either!

Jen said...

I am eating those delicious chocolate chip cookies as we speak! Amber- they are so good! I will try to save you some Brad, but I can't promise anything. We miss you babe- can't wait to see you 6/10!